In maritime transport, the EU Member States foster the development of an effective and harmonized European-wide electronic exchange of ship reporting messages between the industry and public authorities. The aim is:
- To make Europe more competitive;
- To improve interconnectivity (national-international and public authorities-business);
- To reduce existing barriers;
- To create a level playing field between various operators and transport modes;
- To develop a one stop shop approach (Maritime Single Window).
EU Directive 2010/65/EU - Reporting Formalities for Ships arriving in/departing from EU ports - serves as the overall legal framework to allow for the development and implementation of interconnecting national Maritime Single Windows.
To build the national Maritime Single Windows it is necessary for the EU Member States, neighbouring countries and business to co-operate. That is why the ANNA project was established.